In the Casentino valley, at the foot of the Apennine's part that divide Romagna from Toscana, is collocated the monastic structure of Camaldoli (sec IX).
San Romualdo, founder of the Camaldoli order, arrived in that place in 1012 with some disciples and here constructed , to 1111 m, the fist five cells, each surrounded by their own vegetable-garden and a small chapel.
Binding together the cenobico lifestyle (communitarian life) to that anacoretico (solitary life), the monks realized therefore the equilibrium between solitude and communitarian life. After wards San Romualdo constructed , in the valley below, one house in order to receive the hosts and the pilgrims. On the bases of this hospice later was erected the Monastery, where has started the Benedictine reform